Susan is a specialist children law practitioner with extensive experience of public and private law proceedings involving:
Susan is instructed by local authorities, parents, children’s guardians, competent children and intervenors in a wide range of cases. She is an experienced advocate with particular expertise in:
- Cases involving non accidental injury, infant death and sexual abuse which require an understanding and analysis of complex medical and factual issues, attention to detail and skillful case management.
- The representation of competent children- either as subject children or as alleged perpetrators of sexual abuse
- The representation of vulnerable lay clients including clients with learning difficulties and/or mental health difficulties
- Advising and representing local authorities in high profile cases which involve detailed analysis of previous decision-making/management decisions
- The cross examination of child witnesses and other vulnerable witnesses
- Cases which demand rigorous analysis/scrutiny of local authority actions and care plans
- Residence/contact cases involving allegations of domestic violence and/or allegations of sexual abuse or emotional abuse by a parent
- Cases where contact has become difficult or has broken down completely
- Advising on appeal
Susan values a common sense and straightforward approach to lay and professional clients. It is of the utmost importance that clients feel at ease and listened to during what are likely to be difficult and stressful proceedings.
Susan has sat as a Deputy District Judge.